Nissan Plans 10 New Autonomous Cars By 2020 - Nissan Qashqai Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Nissan Plans 10 New Autonomous Cars By 2020

Nissan and its partner Renault have announced that they will be offering more than 10 cars with a range of autonomous features within the next four years. These vehicles will be "mainstream, mass-market cars at affordable prices."

Nissan has big plans for 202. In 2013, Nissan set a goal of selling its first autonomous car by 2020. insurance, regulations, and camera technology probably won't be ready for autonomous cars in 2020, however, Nissan has hired former NOKIA executive Ogi Redzic, who was in charge NOKIA's high-definition mapping software.

Nissan should be able to get pretty close to autonomous driving by 2018. In 2018 vehicles may actually be able to automatically change lanes and swerve to avoid road hazards. Even later, cars should be able to navigate city traffic and intersections without any driver inputs.

Would you be interested in an autonomous Nissan that was also affordable in the next 4 years?

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:32 PM

One of the first models we should see from them is an SUV/Crossover, that will be one of the most effective moves for them.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM

I'd be interested in an autonomous Nissan but only if it's fully autonomous. At the most I'll use cruise control but until the system has been developed more, I wouldn't trust it to avoid road hazards safely by itself.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

So you aren't a fan of the semi-autonomous system that Tesla has?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Semi-autonomous means there's still a chance for human error,even their Autopilot mode parking function requires you to stand within three meters and direct the car to park itself using your key fob or Tesla's smartphone app. I'll go for fully autonomous when I'm not liable for injury or damage but until then, eyes and ears open while I drive manually.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

So where is the line between driver assistance features and a semi-autonomous system that is not acceptable for you?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
So where is the line between driver assistance features and a semi-autonomous system that is not acceptable for you?
Basically he wants a fully autonomous vehicle without having any input , since with the current selection requires you to engage at some point, and that's where know where its your fault or the systems is tricky
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

That is the goal though. Most companies are aiming for this by 2020. It's not unreasonable compared to other companies.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Of course, no way they'll keep it the way it is for ever lol. You wanted to know the line he was talking about, that's what it is.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanDriver View Post
Of course, no way they'll keep it the way it is for ever lol. You wanted to know the line he was talking about, that's what it is.
Fair enough. Having the goal be 2020 means they should be fairly close at that point though, if not actually achieving the goal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page